Toastmasters Leadership Programmes
The more you become involved in Toastmasters, the more you will benefit from the Toastmasters programme. There are a number of leadership learning experiences available to extend your skills and knowledge both within and outside the Toastmasters Club environment.
The Toastmasters Competent Leadership Manual consists of 10 leadership projects. Each project focuses on a different leadership skill, providing background information and an assignment that requires you to serve in one or more specified meeting or club roles in which you may learn an aspect of that skill.
An evaluator will give you verbal and written feedback on each leadership role you complete in the manual. The evaluator provides a personal opinion of your leadership role, pointing out strengths and offering suggestions for improvement for your next role.
You can complete the Competent Leadership manual at your own pace, and you can work on it at the same time as you are working on the Competent Communication manual or Advanced Communication manuals.
The ten projects cover the following skills:
- Listening and Leadership
- Critical Thinking
- Giving Feedback
- Time Management
- Planning and Implementation
- Organising and Delegating
- Developing your Facilitation Skills
- Motivating People
- Team Building
Competent Leader Guide
This Guide published by Mark Cross from a Wellington club outlines what the Competent Leadership Manual is all about, and how you can successfully complete the manual in about a year. This was prepared to assist local clubs, but all Toastmasters are welcome to download and review the Guide for ideas and information when working on the Manual. Download and print Competent Leader Guide (21 page pdf) and refer to the Competent Leader Matrix on the Toastmasters International website.
The Successful Club Series
The Successful Club Series is a set of modules you can present to your Club that address various aspects of quality Club meetings, emphasising what every member can do to help the Club and other members.
Modules include: (click the links to download the PDF or Power Point Presentation for each manual)
- Moments of Truth.pdf – how to capture your visitors as members
- Finding New Members for your Club.pdf - proven methods to seek out vital new members
- Finding New Members for your Club.pps
- Evaluate to Motivate.pdf – teach your club members how to give effective evaluations
- Evaluate to Motivate.pps
- Closing the Sale.pdf – exercise your powers of persuasion during those moments when a guest is deciding to join
- Closing the Sale.pps
- Creating the Best Club Climate.pdf – techniques for creating and maintaining a healthy club environment
- Creating the Best Club Climate.pps
- Meeting Roles and Responsibilities.pdf – how members can successfully fill each meeting role
- Meeting Roles and Responsibilities.pps
- Mentoring.pdf – defines mentoring, explains benefits, and discusses responsibilities of mentors
- Keeping the Commitment.pdf – discusses the 10 standards that comprise “A Toastmasters Promise”
- Keeping the Commitment.pps
- Going Beyond Our Club.pdf – learn about the leadership opportunities available outside the club
- Going Beyond Our Club.pps
- How to be a Distinguished Club.pdf – a tool to explain and promote the Distinguished Club Program
- How to be a Distinguished Club.pps
- The Toastmasters Education Program.pdf – find out what it takes to be a Competent Communicator, and achieve other Toastmaster awards
- The Toastmasters Education Program.pps
Presenting any two of these modules completes one of the requirements of the Advanced Leader Bronze Award.
The Better Speaker Series
The Better Speaker Series is a set of 10 minute educational modules on speech preparation and presentation that you can present to your Club.
Modules available are: (click the links to download the PDF or each manual)
- Beginning your Speech – suggestions for starting off right
- Concluding your Speech – tips for ending your speech with power
- Take the Terror Out of a Talk – techniques for overcoming nervousness when speaking
- Impromptu Speaking – how to speak off the cuff
- Selecting your Topic – ideas for speech topics
- Know your Audience – how to relate to your audience
- Organising your Speech – know what to say and how to say it
- Creating an Introduction – great introductions should precede great speeches
- Preparation and Practice – techniques for preparing and rehearsing your next speech
- Using Body Language – explains how to use facial expressions, gestures, and body movement to enhance a speech
Completing any two programs from the Better Speaker Series completes one of the requirements of the Advanced Communicator Silver Award.
Success/Leadership and Success/Communication Programs
You can learn valuable communication and leadership skills by conducting or participating in these modules. Each module or seminar can be conducted within the Club for members’ education or outside of the Club in your organisation or community to build goodwill.
Success/Leadership modules available are:
- How to conduct Productive Meetings
- Parliamentary Procedure in Action
- Leadership, Part I: Characteristics of Effective Leaders
- Leadership, Part II: Developing your Leadership Skills
- Leadership, Part III: Working in the Team Environment
- Improving your Management Skills
Success/Communication modules available are:
- Running a Speechcraft Course
- How to Listen Effectively
- The Art of Effective Evaluation
- Building your Thinking Power, Part I: Mental Flexibility
- Building your Thinking Power, Part II: The Power of Ideas
- From Speaker to Trainer
Completion of one of the Success/Leadership or Success/Communication modules completes one of the requirements for the Advanced Communicator Gold Award.
The Leadership Excellence Series
The Leadership Excellence Series helps members learn the skills they will need to be successful leaders inside and outside Toastmasters. Fulfills ALB requirement. A complete set of files for The Leadership Excellence Series, including scripts and PowerPoint presentations.
The series includes: (click the links to download the PDF or each manual)
- The Visionary Leader
- Developing A Mission
- Values and Leadership
- Goal Setting And Planning
- Delegate To Empower
- Building A Team
- Giving Effective Feedback
- The Leader as a Coach
- Motivating People
- Service And Leadership
- Resolving Conflict
Completion of any two programmes from the Success Club Series and/or the Leadership Excellence Series completes the requirements for the Advanced Leader Bronze.