Boaters Toastmasters, where leaders are made
Boaters Toastmasters is a central Christchurch club that meets every Friday morning from 6:50am to 8:30am at Speight’s Ale House, Function Room, 263 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch.
Here you will gain the confidence to communicate effectively and hone your leadership skills (see website blog). Boaters Toastmaster members encompass a broad range of backgrounds, experience and abilities. Beginners are assigned a mentor and assisted through the steps provided by the Toastmasters Communication and Leadership programme. These programmes provide a structure that members can work through at their own pace in a supportive environment. We are all here to learn and we never stop learning!You will never know your potential until you give it a go!You will…
- Learn to communicate more effectively
- Become a better listener
- Become a better speaker
- Improve your presentation skills
- Increase your leadership potential
- Become more successful in your career
- Build your ability to motivate and persuade
- Reach your professional and personal goals
- Increase your self confidence
The purpose of Boaters Toastmasters, Christchurch, New Zealand is to help people overcome apprehensions about speaking in public and to improve communication skills.
This is accomplished by providing a self-paced, focused speaking programme with a supportive, experienced group of people to assist you. This mutual support will help you become more effective in many skills, including formal public presentations, individual communications, impromptu speaking situations, managing and participating in meetings, and leading and managing people.
The chief mechanism in developing these skills is through the typical club meeting, which is designed to provide an opportunity to practice various techniques in a variety of situations. A normal Toastmasters meeting will therefore contain a number of individual sections within the meeting, as described below.
At a typical club meeting, members are given a chance to practise:
- chairing a meeting
- impromptu speaking
- prepared speeches
- giving feedback on the speeches and other aspects of the meeting
- participate in the club website blog
People often ask what are the benefits of joining Toastmasters.
Toastmasters can help you:
- develop self-confidence when speaking in public
- give effective presentations to all types of audiences
- speak off the cuff on a variety of topics
- give wedding speeches
In your working life, you’ll be able to:
- hone your management skills
- work better with your colleagues and customers
- sharpen your presentation skills
- develop and present ideas clearly
- enhance your personal development
Why Join Boaters Toastmasters?
- you will learn in a club environment, amongst friends
- you will receive ongoing feedback and encouragement
- learn amoungst fellow professional persons seeking to build confidence and skills
In your personal life, you’ll be able to:
- offer constructive criticism
- accept criticism more objectively
- conduct effective meetings
- communicate clearer
You’ll enjoy the fellowship of Toastmasters as you learn how to:
- research, prepare and deliver speeches on a wide variety of topics
- design and use visual aids to enhance your message
- host and speak at family and social occasions